Entries

What Price is the Attention to What's Important?




01 October 2007
It has come to my attention that people in general have a rough time PAYING attention at all. I send these emails to keep up with everybody and to relay other information that sometimes I feel is important. And people still call me while I'm at work or when I should be reasonably asleep, wanting to know things they could just as easily emailed or texted me about.

Why am I railing about this now? Why I am choosing a little bullshit email as a sounding board for my complaints of some of my friends and in turn, society? Because this man is really concerned past his customary irritation. My criticism is not about a perceived casual disregard for my simple wish It is about our collective failure to pay attention to important details because our brains are currently assigned to running tasks that do not conceivably improve its programming.

Monday, the talk around my workplace wasn't about the war in Central Asia or the coming Depression that's about to drown the United States. What I thought was a fait accompli of a headlining political story with a United States senator propositioning a undercover agent for a blowjob (for once he wanted to give back to the common man, I suppose) wasn't.

The main story wasn't even about Turkey attacking Northern Iraq with a hundred thousand men to harry some more Kurds occupying land the Turks didn't want anyway while rating the United States its number one threat to its security.

It was about something undoubtedly more important. It was the main story on CNN on Monday.

It was about the disaster that was Britney Spears' performance at the MTV Video Music Awards. Just to show you how weak the reportage was it didn't bother to cover the failure on the part of everyone involved.

Please allow me to take a momentary digression. Sometimes I feel like I closed my eyes for five minutes sometime in the Nineties and before I opened my eyes and began to shudder in distress, all of a sudden this smelly-footed virago was all that tens of millions of Americans could care about. And this woman along with an even less talented and racist blonde, Paris Hilton, dominates our reality.

It is as if God decided it would be more cost-effective to outsource the day-to-day responsibilties of scripting Reality to Joe Eszterhas.

We are all--me included-- complicit in filling our minds with this bullshit which is why we cannot recall simple key sentences for vital correspondences. We are losing valuable RAM space for want of the trivial. I plead with you to be more conscious of the everyday jetsam that fills our minds everyday. Watch a little less YouTube. Make a conscious effort to focus on something not so superficial such as the goings-on of the marginally talented.

4 comments:

nikki on: Monday, 01 October, 2007 said...

come on...if not for britney we'd have to do something ridiculous like focus on and acknowledge our own failings. NOTHING is as satisfying as pointing fingers and laughing at someone else falling off the wagon. the rise of my self-esteem is directly linked to the fall of someone else's. i know i'm not alone.

Kamal Vincent Shaw on: Thursday, 04 October, 2007 said...

I'm in agreement with your sarcasm...but there is deeper reason why Britney is somewhat relevant in our lives. This society NEEDS her, it needs a contniually increasing buffet of bullshit to keep us from thinking and possibly acting against the very real and scary world we are surrounded by.

Anonymous on: Friday, 19 October, 2007 said...

Seriously. Wtf?? In addition, i think my head might implode if i turn on the radio in my vehicle one more time to be bombarded with a flurry of psuedo-artists telling me to drop it like its hot or superman that hoe. DAMN.

On another note, VIRAGO??!! Who says that shit!? Rocks. Killin me.

Anonymous on: Monday, 12 November, 2007 said...

Everyone here makes a good point. It seems to me that everyone can agree - IT'S TIME FOR BETTER & MORE RELEVANT NEWS!!! Is it me? Or is REAL NEWS and REAL MEDIA in high demand right now? I know I'm waiting for some damn GOOD news for once, there's plenty out there no one is covering....

I do think Nikki's comment is rather sad though...Somehow I don't get a kick out of seeing other people down to boost myself esteem...Man, is that what America is all about now? We need to kick other people when they are down to feel better? WOOOWWWW...I gotta get the hell out of this country..."Look-out!!!the haters are coming, the haters are coming!"

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2011 • You Might Not Want to Know This, But... • All rights reserved